Your terrible bad breath will not only make you embarrassed, but it will put off many people in your life.
Nevertheless, bad breath can be treated or even get rid of completely. The sooner you acknowledge your problem,the better is the chance to stop your bad breath totally.As the saying goes " Early detection is half the battle won ".
Bad Breath is caused mainly by a group of anaerobic sulfur producing bacteria which breed within the tongue's surface and throat.
Causes Of Bad Breath
- Food particles remained in the mouth may rot and cause foul odours. Some foods like garlic and onions also cause bad odour.
- Dry Mouth.
- Smoking or chewing tobacco-based products
- Caries is the major causative agent of unpleasant smell from mouth.
- In case of old patients who wear artificial dentures, and do not clean their dentures properly.It leads to food accumulation and finally bad odour. So they are advised to remove their dentures out of mouth at night and wear in mornings only after proper cleaning.
- After extraction of tooth, if the wound is not properly cleaned with mouth rinses, it may lead to development of mouth odours.
- The other extraoral sources of mouth odours include infections or lesions of the respiratory tract including bronchitis, pneumonia etc. and odours excreted through the lungs from aromatic substances in the blood stream, such as metabolites from ingested foods or excretory products of cell metabolism.
- Alcoholic breath, the acetone odour of diabetes, uremic breath that accompanies kidney dysfunctions.
- Regular checkups will allow your dentist to detect any problems such as gum disease, dry mouth, caries that causes bad breath.
- Maintaining oral hygiene by brushing twice a day with flouride toothpaste and flossing daily, brushing tongue.
- Drinking plenty of water will keep your mouth moist.
- Chewing sugarless gums and candies also stimulate saliva which washes away food particles and bacteria.
- Change your toothbrush every 3 to 4 months and choose a sift-bristled toothbrush. Use mouthwash prior to sleeping.
- Chewing mint leaves will soon clean up the breath.
- Gargle with baking soda dissolved in warm water.
- Drinking a cup of unsweetened hot tea or green tea.
- After meals chew some sunflower seeds and drink a glass of water.
- Eating yogurt six weeks will completely remove bad breath.
- Chewing one clove after meals daily will keep dealing with bad breath
- Squeeze lemon in a glass of water and gargle frequently.